The badge scanning functionality is an integral part of the Grip platform. You have to use the event’s mobile application to scan another event attendee’s badge via your device’s camera, while exporting data can be done via the web platform, assuming that you are permitted to do so by the event organizer.
In this article, we'll cover:
- How to scan a badge in the app
- Where to see the list of people you scanned and who scanned you
- How to export your badge scans
How to scan a badge in the app
Login to your event app and click on "more"
Click on "QR / Badge Scanner"
Scanning a badge.
Tapping on Badge Scanner will open the camera (make sure that you allow the App to access your camera - you should see your phone prompt you for permission). The following steps will happen during the process of a badge scan:
- The app will try to scan constantly while the viewfinder is open. Hold a badge in front of the camera to start.
- You'll recognize that the app has started scanning a code when a green box appears around the code you're scanning.
- Once the code is successfully scanned you’ll see a success message, and you can tap on a person's name to open their profile.
- Even if you choose not to open the profile of the person, you will now be Connected to them on the platform due to this scan.
- Our apps can scan multiple badges simultaneously and due to the intuitive design, you'll immediately see when the scans have been successful.
- If you see a message indicating that you’re not permitted to scan the current badge, the event organizer will have made a choice to prevent this action. It could be that you are of different attendee types which are not permitted to interact. Contact the organizer if you feel that this is incorrect.
It is important to note that scans are also stored locally on your phone. This means that even if you scan someone when you don't have an internet connection it will be stored and uploaded to the platform once you do have an internet connection.
Where to see the list of people you scanned and who scanned you
a. The section "My Scan List" in the App
The section lists the people you've scanned. Although you can't export them from the app you can usually do so (including email and phone number) from the web platform.
b. Scanned by list
In this list you can find all the people that have scanned your badge.
How to export your badge scans
Depending on the event’s setup, you may be able to export a list of the people that you scanned and those that scanned you. You will need to log on to the web portal in order to check this. The easiest way to do this is to find the email invitation you received when registering for the event and opening the link from a desktop/laptop computer.
If you are part of a Team, representing a Company, all badge scans will be saved as Contacts for your Team. See this article for export steps.
If you are attending the event as an individual and do not have access to Teams, the only way to export badge scans is via the Connections export. See this article for details.
Can you scan a company or an item?
You can scan a QR code that belongs to an exhibitor or a product, for example, in case you want to get more information about them. In this case, you will "Show Interest" in the company or item instead of forming a connection with them. You will be able to find the profiles of all the companies and items that you scanned in your "My 'Interested' List" or "My Scan List".
If you have any questions or suggestions you can reach out to us on firstname.lastname@example.org